The Winner As Defined…
PM Modi wins the 17th Lok Sabha election with a big bang! BJP wins nearly 300 seats out of a total of 545 seats, under the leadership of Narendra Modi. The main opposition party Indian National Congress and its alliances (UPA) altogether managed to score less than a century.
Setting the Records…
During India’s first election in 1951-52 Jawaharlal Nehru won around three-fourths of the Lok Sabha seats, then he won 1957 and 1962 elections also with full majority. However, by that time there was no strong opposition party created at all. Nehruji’s daughter Indira Gandhi won the majority twice, the first time in 1967 with 280 seats out of a total of 520 and second time in 1971, she won 352 seats. Narendra Modi is the third leader in Indian political history to win the majority consistently for two terms ( 2014 and 2019).
How he won the hearts of the People
- People of India voted for the Modi. Because under his leadership India felt secured. His steps like demonetization brought the hope that now black money creation and corruption will be curtailed.
- With the GST implementation, the Indian economy is now stabilizing and moving towards growth. People felt the ease of doing business.
- With the implementation of Ujjwalayojana, rural households received the benefits. People felt ease in cooking.
- With the initiatives like PM Awas Yojana Subsidy, poor to middle-class Indians are getting the benefits to accomplish their dream of having own house.
- With the Atal Pension Yojana, people are making provisions for securing their retirement.
- The relaxed Income tax structure benefiting mainly the salaried people announced in 2019 interim budget. And online e return filing and e grievances settlement system, people felt ease in Income tax compliances, which encouraged to them to file I.T. return. And the fear of dealing with the Income-tax department reduced.
- And the most important and very favorite scheme of the people Ayushman Bharat under which a defined benefit cover of Rs 5 lakh per family (on a family floater basis) per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization. – This scheme won the heart of the people.
- Modi govt.’s step to strike back Pakistan by doing airstrike in their own territory, killing hundreds of militants. Increased the spirit of Indians and won their trust.
- Along with other measures, Narendra Modi’s simple and straight forward image which made him People’s man- Common man also made people happy.
Now the coming Five years.
To start with there are two major challenges already waiting for the Government to deal with. The one is how to make the Indian agricultural sector strong and to make Indian farmers happy. And the other big challenge is to reduce unemployment. In fact, one of the reasons for the increase in unemployment is that Indian youth nowadays find less interest in doing a job. So, dealing with unemployment may require combined efforts from the people as well as the Government.